1959-D What happened to this one ?

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Gypsy
Coining Around

1959-D What happened to this one ?

#1 Unread post by Gypsy »

Greetings from Belgium to Daniel and all his followers worldwide.
This is the first time I try the site. I just subscribed.
I posted a few pictures (I hope). Sorry for the bad quality.
The most important picture is #3. An erred doubled die ? ☺

I have absolutely no idea what happened to this coin. In this sense that I can not describe it in "numismatic" language.
Any ideas ?
Cheers
Attachments
1959Obv.jpg
1959Rev.jpg
BEdetail.jpg

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: 1959-D What happened to this one ?

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Hello! It appears to be mostly like PMD (post mint damage). Vise Job attempt? This didn't happen at the Mint. Cheers!!
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#3 Unread post by DSCoins »

I really don't know what is going on with this coin. My first guess would have been "vice job". If it was a "vice job" the BE that you see would be Backwards and incuse, thus in my mind it is not a vice job. This is just my opinion as to what is going on. Will wait to hear from the Pros on this.
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#4 Unread post by Paul »

?
I need better images
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Earle42 »

As DS has mentioned, this is not vice job.

Dropped letters are incuse. Is the BE, like the pictures seem to show raised off of the surface?

It would also be a near miracle for two dropped letters to be in the proper orientation and spacing (see error-ref.com for explanation - "dropped filling").

The hit mark on the extra B makes me think this is not someone's (not the owners!) idea of a joke (people can glue letters onto coins!).

My only thoughts left* are the BE seems to say it was struck once, rotated, and struck twice. The flattening may be from a partial ejection between strikes. Yet its puzzling why more of the design would not be showing :think:

*DO NOT TAKE THAT AS GOSPEL! Its my reasoning out loud (well - typing) trying to figure this one out.

Waiting for Paul and Daniel on this one.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Paul

#6 Unread post by Paul »

....... The damage to the coin makes me suspicious.
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

I agree with the above statement.

Gypsy
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by Gypsy »

Thank you all for your efforts to find an answer to this mystery.

Gypsy
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by Gypsy »

I will try to get better pictures. Good luck to me. ☺

Gypsy
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by Gypsy »

Still trying to figure out how to handle this website. I take my pictures with my Iphone.
Not too satisfied with it though. Any suggestions for a camera that could do the job better. Not too expensive that means.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Earle42 »

Here is how to use an iPhone easily and a sample pic taken with it. You really need nothing else:
https://coinauctionshelp.com/forum/view ... hp?t=23514
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Shayboo
Coining Around

#12 Unread post by Shayboo »

Well the BE on the coin is from the die being rotated an struck a second time the BE is from liberty but idk how that happens but... U see writhing around the edge of the rim, his bowtie as another chin. An doubling on the rim as well. As for the camera job theres apps u can get that will help with lighting an focusing in on the coin sometimes getting as close as you can won't help them see what needs seen instead of trying to get on top of it try to stay about 30% away from it or untill it looks best in ur screen as to were what it is ur seeing all cameras are different an there all kinds of different kinda of them things lol I downloaded a app that is a magnifier an u can take pics when I get it whereby want an its focused in at its best but try an shoot for the focal point instead of getting it way to close sometimes its better if seen at a little bit of a pull back lol. Kinda like stepping back from a situation an looking in on it instead of being all up in it. I do think its mint error honestly but thats just my opinion. There the experts. 😉 us other folks just have our thoughts lol. Hope it helps an u find out just what it is u have there cause I think its a gem. An again just my option an looking at dozens of hundreds I feel safe to say id have it looked at cause I know what I see but.. I'm just a by standard lol. Very much of good luck to u! God bless

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#13 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Gypsy wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:15 pm Still trying to figure out how to handle this website. I take my pictures with my Iphone.
Not too satisfied with it though. Any suggestions for a camera that could do the job better. Not too expensive that means.
Hey Gypsy! I have a Moto G6 and take most of my Pics like this except I use a jar instead of books. Thanks to earle42!!
Attachments
Coin_Pictures_101.png
Coin_Pictures_101.png (51.89 KiB) Viewed 336 times
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Gypsy
Coining Around

#14 Unread post by Gypsy »

Hi Sensi , was out of service for quite a while. Happy to be back.
Thanks for your suggestion. I'll give it a try.
Cheers

JTCC
Coin Guru

#15 Unread post by JTCC »

Shayboo wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:00 am Well the BE on the coin is from the die being rotated an struck a second time the BE is from liberty but idk how that happens but... U see writhing around the edge of the rim, his bowtie as another chin. An doubling on the rim as well.
:?:
U.S. cent lover!