Redfield Dollar

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Alan H
Coin Wizz

Redfield Dollar

#1 Unread post by Alan H »

Looking for an opinion here. I have a Morgan, 1882S from the Redfield Collection. It's slabbed in what looks to be a private label from the Paramount Coin Company and says MS-60. I'm thinking of cracking it out as this slab isn't from a recognized grading service and is an odd size that doesn't fit in any of my boxes. I don't want to reduce its value though. Thoughts?
Redfield Dollar.jpg
Thanks,

Alan

Artillery87
Coinasieur

Re: Redfield Dollar

#2 Unread post by Artillery87 »

NGC will grade Redfield Dollars inside these original holders by placing a plastic label band around the outside of such holders with its own assigned grade. Since the Redfield holders are not designed and tested by NGC for long-term storage, NGC cannot guarantee the grade it assigns to these coins. This grading is performed as a service to submitters who do not want to lose the nostalgia and collectability of the original holders.

JTCC
Coin Guru

#3 Unread post by JTCC »

I agree with above. do not crack the dollar out of the holder.
U.S. cent lover!

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Earle42 »

You need to check possible coin value and cost for slabbing before sending this in for grading.

It also would be good to try to find if there is a premium paid for this type of coin in this type of holder.

A quickie look at MS60 1882S on numismidia.com shows this coin in MS60 is worth 68.00. By the time you have NGC or PCGS grade this, you would have given THEM the value of the coin (and possibly more).

So look up the numbers, values, etc. before making a decision.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

The coin is worth more in this holder than cracked out, you should not remove as it's a part of the coin's history. Look up Redfield Hoard, it's very interesting.
I handled a large Redfield collection and sold the best at Stacks Bowers Auctions.

Artillery87
Coinasieur

#6 Unread post by Artillery87 »

I got one coming, will share when it arrives.

Alan H
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by Alan H »

OK thanks folks. I thought the holder was just a commercial holder, but after a little research it appears to have some significance. I didn't intend to have it slabbed. it's not worth enough, nor is the condition worth it. I was just going to put it in a Capitol holder or something similar. It'll stay as is!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »