1929 s Mercury Dime

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
KCKid
Coining Around

1929 s Mercury Dime

#1 Unread post by KCKid »

Last night I sought help about a 1929 s Mercury Dime that I wondered if it could be classified as a micro s similar to the 1945 micro s. Since I also had some 1929 s dimes that have a larger s I posted side by side pictures so that anyone who might offer help could see the difference between the two in order to opine whether the smaller could actually be considered a micro s and thus worthy of a separate listing as there is with the 1945 s and micro s. The hall monitors though, decided to decry the fact that I had pictures of two coins instead of just one. How anyone can judge the difference in size without seeing the difference I don't know but since they did not offer any help, just the complaint for daring to offer a picture of a second coin, I am reposting my request with just the one picture. If you want to help but cannot judge because there is no comparison picture all I can say is to look at yesterday's post to see the two side by side. I really would like to know though.
1929 micro s.png

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: 1929 s Mercury Dime

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

I don't know what you are talking about. This is a "Normal" S. Compare to the one I've listed.
Attachments
1929-s-mercury-dime.jpg
1929-s-mercury-dime.jpg (67.88 KiB) Viewed 643 times
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

Interesting.......
Take a close look at the location of the Mintmark on each of your coins... Which in turn will tell you that these are completely different reverse dies, which I believe you already know.

Do you have any way of actually measuring these Mintmark's?

I'm just wondering if the "Larger" Mintmark is due to 'Circulation Flattening' :?:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Earle42 »

KCKid wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:21 pm Last night I sought help about a 1929 s Mercury Dime that I wondered if it could be classified as a micro s similar to the 1945 micro s. Since I also had some 1929 s dimes that have a larger s I posted side by side pictures so that anyone who might offer help could see the difference between the two in order to opine whether the smaller could actually be considered a micro s and thus worthy of a separate listing as there is with the 1945 s and micro s. The hall monitors though, decided to decry the fact that I had pictures of two coins instead of just one. How anyone can judge the difference in size without seeing the difference I don't know but since they did not offer any help, just the complaint for daring to offer a picture of a second coin, I am reposting my request with just the one picture. If you want to help but cannot judge because there is no comparison picture all I can say is to look at yesterday's post to see the two side by side. I really would like to know though.1929 micro s.png
Its hard for people not running a forum to understand why there are guidelines. Daniel has been running this place for many years now and has been able to filter the process to make it streamlined. The guidelines he has posted (read them yet :D ? ) are the tried and true method that he believes, from years of experience, work best.

The main reason behind only one coin per post is b/c when people give an answer, it is all too easy for the OP and the person making an answer to not be referencing the same coin. While the OP is thinking the answer is about coin A, it actually is about coin B (or vice versa).
How anyone can judge the difference in size without seeing the difference I don't know
Which is why people come here for help. People here are aware that there are reference places online which list the exact type of mint marks used for each year/MM of ea. coin type. So using your picture with the info online makes an easy comparison.

Varietvista.com, for example is one of them and here is a link to the MM styles for each year of Mercury dime:
[ulr]http://varietyvista.com/06%20Mercury%20 ... Styles.htm[/url]
On that page you will find links to the D mint mark page and the S mint mark page.

So the "hall monitors" were doing what the owner of this forum has asked them to do - make sure people know and follow the guidelines. In the end the guidelines saves our members time from having to ask more question, or from clarify items, instead of just being able to give an answer.

I have the time to lay everything out on the table for newbies who have no way of knowing there is actually some method to the madness involved with the forum rules, and so they just assume (why? I don't know) the rules exist just to make it problematic for people to make a post. :D
These users thanked the author Earle42 for the post (total 2):
DSCoins, Ann
Rating: 6.06%

Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

KCKid
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by KCKid »

SensibleSal66 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:38 am I don't know what you are talking about. This is a "Normal" S. Compare to the one I've listed.
Your dime has the same mint mark as mine I agree. Did you go to my earlier post that had the picture showing both dimes. The other has a noticeably bigger s on it. Maybe it is the larger s that is the variety, I don’t know which is why I asked.

KCKid
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by KCKid »

Paul wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:23 am Interesting.......
Take a close look at the location of the Mintmark on each of your coins... Which in turn will tell you that these are completely different reverse dies, which I believe you already know.

Do you have any way of actually measuring these Mintmark's?

I'm just wondering if the "Larger" Mintmark is due to 'Circulation Flattening' :?:
I understand what you are saying about the two s’s coming from different reverse dies. I don’t know how that works but I am sure that whatever they use to make the mint mark are different on the two dimes. I don’t have any way to measure the sizes specifically but the pictures are the same sizes and the grades look similar enough that I don’t think that the larger s is from circulation flattening. I will also mention that I actually have 5 of the 1929s dimes and 3 of them have the larger s and 2 have the smaller s. I don’t know which s is the more common one. If you go to the USACoinbook site and look at the picture of the 1929s Mercury Dime that they use on their page showing the ones for sale, they show the reverse with the smaller s. Could it be that the larger s is the outlier? Mercury dimes are my favorite coin and I have about 1000 of them and it may be that the difference in sizes isn’t meaningful as far as values go. I just found it interesting especially since the size difference does matter with the 1945s. You don’t know if you don’t ask.

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#7 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

KCKid wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:58 pm
SensibleSal66 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:38 am I don't know what you are talking about. This is a "Normal" S. Compare to the one I've listed.
Your dime has the same mint mark as mine I agree. Did you go to my earlier post that had the picture showing both dimes. The other has a noticeably bigger s on it. Maybe it is the larger s that is the variety, I don’t know which is why I asked.
Here you go. You decide....
http://lincolncentresource.com/San_Fran ... tyles.html :snooty:
Member of CONECA

KCKid
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by KCKid »

That was interesting. Is there something like this for Mercury dimes since that is the question?

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#9 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

KCKid wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:40 pm That was interesting. Is there something like this for Mercury dimes since that is the question?
Sorry, wrong link for wrong question. Long Night. :shock: :roll:
I couldn't find one for Mercury Dimes.
Member of CONECA

KCKid
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by KCKid »

Earle42 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:35 am
KCKid wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:21 pm Last night I sought help about a 1929 s Mercury Dime that I wondered if it could be classified as a micro s similar to the 1945 micro s. Since I also had some 1929 s dimes that have a larger s I posted side by side pictures so that anyone who might offer help could see the difference between the two in order to opine whether the smaller could actually be considered a micro s and thus worthy of a separate listing as there is with the 1945 s and micro s. The hall monitors though, decided to decry the fact that I had pictures of two coins instead of just one. How anyone can judge the difference in size without seeing the difference I don't know but since they did not offer any help, just the complaint for daring to offer a picture of a second coin, I am reposting my request with just the one picture. If you want to help but cannot judge because there is no comparison picture all I can say is to look at yesterday's post to see the two side by side. I really would like to know though.1929 micro s.png
Its hard for people not running a forum to understand why there are guidelines. Daniel has been running this place for many years now and has been able to filter the process to make it streamlined. The guidelines he has posted (read them yet :D ? ) are the tried and true method that he believes, from years of experience, work best.

The main reason behind only one coin per post is b/c when people give an answer, it is all too easy for the OP and the person making an answer to not be referencing the same coin. While the OP is thinking the answer is about coin A, it actually is about coin B (or vice versa).
How anyone can judge the difference in size without seeing the difference I don't know
Which is why people come here for help. People here are aware that there are reference places online which list the exact type of mint marks used for each year/MM of ea. coin type. So using your picture with the info online makes an easy comparison.

Varietvista.com, for example is one of them and here is a link to the MM styles for each year of Mercury dime:
[ulr]http://varietyvista.com/06%20Mercury%20 ... Styles.htm[/url]
On that page you will find links to the D mint mark page and the S mint mark page.

So the "hall monitors" were doing what the owner of this forum has asked them to do - make sure people know and follow the guidelines. In the end the guidelines saves our members time from having to ask more question, or from clarify items, instead of just being able to give an answer.

I have the time to lay everything out on the table for newbies who have no way of knowing there is actually some method to the madness involved with the forum rules, and so they just assume (why? I don't know) the rules exist just to make it problematic for people to make a post. :D
I looked at your post again and saw the link to the Mercury dime mint marks. I clicked on it and now I have a separate question. According to it the 1929 used a small s which looks to be what I have and the one dime. However, according to the link, the 1928 used both a small s and a large s. So, now I am wondering if the dimes that I have with the larger s may be a result of someone using the large s die from the 1928 dime on some of the 1929 dimes? Any idea where I could find out if this is true?

KCKid
Coining Around

#11 Unread post by KCKid »

SensibleSal66 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:45 pm
KCKid wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:40 pm That was interesting. Is there something like this for Mercury dimes since that is the question?
Sorry, wrong link for wrong question. Long Night. :shock: :roll:
I couldn't find one for Mercury Dimes.
That’s okay. Someone else sent me one. Thanks for trying.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Earle42 »

So, now I am wondering if the dimes that I have with the larger s may be a result of someone using the large s die from the 1928 dime on some of the 1929 dimes? Any idea where I could find out if this is true?
You could send it to Wexler.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?