1909 VDB does this look MS63 to you?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Christien
Coining Around

1909 VDB does this look MS63 to you?

#1 Unread post by Christien »

***Titles Are Important***
:D I corrected this one for you - post must include date and type of coin as well as small description of question :D
So we can better help you, please use the following link before making another post:

Click here, READ the guidelines list and please watch the video!
....Earle42

I'm new to grading and just wanted to run this by the group. Would you guys agree with MS63 on this? It looks a lot cleaner and redder to the eye than it does in photographs.
PXL_20220523_203053641~2.jpg
PXL_20220523_203114936.jpg

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: 1909 VDB does this look MS63 to you?

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

:think:
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Earle42 »

Easy answer: no - the pics show too much surface roughness overall...but they are just pictures.
You said:
It looks a lot cleaner and redder to the eye than it does in photographs.
Since grading depends on details, when the pictures hide the details, its impossible to give a God guess.

Answer based in technical fact:
The grading companies use not actual, scientific and verifiable standard of grading. You can break an MS63 cent out of a PCGS slab (or any other company), return it to them to be graded, and it is not guaranteed the same MS grade again. Yes...its that subjective. No, this is not uncommon. Yes, it makes the grading companies money b/c they get people playing this crack and re-slab game (paying each time of course) to try to get the higher "money" level grade.

So a person asks, "Did I get the grade right?" please understand getting a grade actually "right" with current systems is totally impossible. There is no "right" grade when no standard calibration tools are used to tell what grade a coin is! All you can possibly get is a ballpark of what people might generally say.

Its like measuring the length of a stick without using a ruler... "Yeah, that looks about a foot long to me." You will not get an actual measurement of the stick - only guesses. Which explains the above concept of why the re-slabbing game works for the companies.

And yes, a lot of collectors do not know the above facts. And its not all that uncommon for those who have a bundle of cash (understatement in some cases) into slabbed coins to really not WANT to know (believe) the above. Can you blame them?

But..this is all hearsay without proof. So...
Grading the Coin Graders

Want more? Read the essay in my signature. Its an eye opener for sure with linked facts and pics form the PCGS website.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

We can't grade your coins to the point grade using images.

Christien
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by Christien »

PXL_20220524_081643036.jpg
Understood. I was mostly just trying to guage wether I was in the ball park for my own skill level. This image of the reverse reflects the color and luster. It does have these toned spots. The only damage is tiny scratches on the field in the obverse in front of Lincoln's face. The coin arrived with the plastic in the flip torn so I'm willing to bet it's from a staple. Too bad, as you can see the color and luster are gorgeous.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

Again, we can't help you with that. You also need to practice imaging skills if you want help with questions like this, no one can help you grade using images, and blurry and out of focus images make it even worse.

Christien
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by Christien »

I didn't ask you to grade my coin, I merely asked.... Never mind. Why is the coin community like this? Enjoy your moment, I'm out.

Alan H
Coin Wizz

#8 Unread post by Alan H »

For developing your personal grading skills, get yourself a copy of Coin World's "Making The Grade". It's pretty much my Bbile here. Full of photos and easy to understand. Knowledge is power! https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/produc ... uQQAvD_BwE

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Daniel »

Christien wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:34 am I didn't ask you to grade my coin, I merely asked.... Never mind. Why is the coin community like this? Enjoy your moment, I'm out.
You ask if it looks MS63 and we can't tell you that using images. We can't even tell if it's MS or not based on these images. You ask an impossible to answer question then get upset. Maybe this community is not for you. We don't guess here, we give the facts to the best of our ability.